Water leaks in the home can cause a lot of damage and provide the conditions for the growth of mold. If you do not take care of water leaks, there would be an increase in utility bills and water wastage. It is thus important to regularly conduct water leaks inspection. This will save you money and time.
The prevention procedures are as simple as installing a smart water shutoff appliance.
Leak detection can be easy if the water spots are coming from a leaky faucet, your toilet, or a leaking slab. It is harder to notice the leak if it is in pipes buried underground or inside walls.
Water leaks have become common and thus homeowners have to be active in looking for them and prevent potential water damage.
Below are a few ways you can protect your home from water leaks;
- Regular water meter monitoring and checking on your water bills
- Inspecting the yard and foundation regularly for flooding
- Checking drywalls and carpets for dampness
- Listening keenly for running water
- Immediately repairing the spotted water leaks
Hiring Leak Detection Services
Getting rid of water leaks is easy if you know the place of the leak. However, leaks sometimes can go unnoticed for months by homeowners. The signs of water leaks might be there but it is hard for you to know where to look. This is where you need to hire an expert.
Here are signs that tell you to need to hire a professional;
- Water bills increasing unexpectedly
- If you notice a large decline in the home’s water pressure
- Constant musty odor coming from an unknown place
The professionals have superior equipment to help deal with water leaks. A water-leak sensor is used to find the reason for the unusually high water bills. A flow meter aids in checking the water pressure in homes.
The experts use superior detection technology to find the hidden water leaks causing a musty odor.
What are the Advantages of Leak Detection Services?
Spotting and fixing water leaks instantly stabilizes a home and makes it safe. There are several benefits for getting a professional to identify and fix water leaks. They also have the right equipment to help improve the water flow and reduce water costs. Here are some of the benefits;
- Preventing Health Problems
It is a big concern if water leaks are left unattended for a long time. This will lead to water damage and eventual mold growth. Mold is related to several health concerns. If you spot a water leak in any of your rooms, call a plumber immediately or fix it yourself.
Molds start growing after 72 hours of water puddles stagnating. This will put everyone in the house at risk of deadly health issues.
Signs and symptoms related to mold growth include;
- Sore throat
- Lung irritation
- Runny Nose
If your family members show any of these signs and you have water leaks in the house, call in a professional.
- Preserving Building Materials
Standing water has detrimental effects on your house if not dealt with properly. Apart from mold growth, water leaks can damage the building materials also. Water causes the rotting and falling of building materials. You will eventually need to replace them.
Here are common damages on home materials due to water leaks;
- A warped floor in the kitchen, bathroom, or laundry room because of leaky plumbing pipes.
- Soggy and damp drywall because of the broken interior water pipes.
- Peeling cabinet surfaces and countertops because of leaky faucets
- Flooded basements because of broken underground water pipes
- Rotting wood trusses and framing
Professional help in getting the right audit of your home’s plumbing systems. All leaks will be sealed and prevent any costlier damage.
- Preventing Water Waste
An unnoticed water leak not only causes water damage but also increases the water bills. There will also be a needle’s water wastage. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) provided some statistics on water usage. These included;
- 10,000 gallons of water are wasted each year by US households
- The toilets in homes have the largest water leakage of up to 90,000 gallons of water each year. This is enough to fill up a large swimming pool.
- With unnoticed leaks, about 10% of homes waste more than 90 gallons of water per day
The solution may be as simple as installing a water meter, water-leak sensor, or water monitor. They will help reduce large water wastes.
Process of Leak Detection
Professionals use special equipment to get the exact location of the leak. The experts follow a standard procedure that involves;
- Conducting a walk-through checking the pipes, foundation, and faucets
- Inspecting the home meter and the flow rate
- If the surface has no signs of water leakage, then the foundations and underground pipes are inspected. This is done using proper sound detection equipment.
- If the leak is found, the experts determine the best way to deal with it and prevent further damage.
Hire a Professional to Save More
Smart home technology can help you in ways you never imagined. Water leaks are hard to notice sometimes. Delayed repair of water leaks can cause great damage to your home. Save your family members from mold growth by calling a professional. They will also help you prevent future water leaks.