Get Help Now

Speak with a Restoration Partner Now

Pink‌ ‌Mold‌

QUICK SUMMARY

Water damage can be devastating but quick action will help you minimize the damage to your home. With the help of a professional, start the water restoration process immediately to reduce the impact on your home, family and life. Are you experiencing a home damage emergency? Get Water Damage Help Now

The scientific name for this allergenic mold is Aureobasdium pullaria. The name pink mold does not necessarily mean it is always pink. It can also be found in variations of brown and black. This means you can easily be mistaken it for other mold species. 

Just like the other mold species, the pink mold has its health risks. This is experienced with long-term exposure. The mainly affected areas are the nails, eyes, and skin. 

The elderly and infants tend to develop severe symptoms compared to other groups of people. The pink mold can also affect pets in your home.

Where Can I Find Pink Mold Growing?

Pink molds sprout and thrive in high-moisture areas just like any other mold type. The substrate has to be perpetually damp as such surfaces that collect moisture without being wiped from super breeding grounds for pink molds. 

Below are some examples of the areas you can find pink mold;

  • In the corners of showers and bathtubs
  • Along the grout lines between the tiles
  • On wallpapers in kitchen sand bathrooms
  • On plastic or vinyl shower curtains
  • On and below bath mats
  • Inside dishwashing machines
  • Under kitchen countertops, sinks, and inside cabinets
  • Inside unattended air conditioners or dehumidifiers
  • Behind mirrors mounted on the wall in toilets or bathrooms
  • On window sills exposed to the weather elements

Is Pink Mold Toxic?

Pink mold is more common thus easy for people to come in contact with it. It also flourishes at a very fast rate. Pink mold affects the infants and elderly fast. 

Long-term exposure to any type of mold is a danger to your health. For a normal adult, it takes some time before its effects kick in. Pets and those with weakened immune systems are also susceptible to the effects of pink mold. 

Here are some symptoms and signs you should be aware of regarding the pink mold;

  • Allergic reactions like sneezing, coughing, skin rash, and eye irritations
  • Urinary tract and bladder infections
  • Gastrointestinal ailments e.g. nausea, diarrhea, and stomach ache
  • Respiratory tract illnesses
  • Prolonged lung inflammation leads to bronchitis and pneumonia

The effects of pink mold exposure vary from mild to severe. Severe cases occur when exposure to pink mold leads to other chronic diseases. For instance, heart failure risks due to inhaling pink mold. 

Other inflections like UTIs occur when pink mold enters through open wounds.

Getting Rid of Pink Mold

Pink mold can be removed by an individual at home. You however have to take the necessary precaution measures and wear protective equipment. These gears include;

  • Goggles for eye protection
  • Gloves
  • Disposable coveralls
  • Rubber boots
  • N95 respirator or a mask designated for fine particles

It can be difficult sometimes to get rid of all the mold on surfaces. If this happens, you can use a disinfectant to clean the surface properly. 

A mix of dish soap and baking soda will help scrub the dirt off. After cleaning, sanitize the affected area using biocide or bleach to ensure any remaining spores die. This will prevent the further spread of pink mold.

The coveralls are disposable because the spores can get attached to your clothing. When done removing pink molds, make sure you disinfect the PPE. One spore can bring about a new colony if the proper conditions are provided. 

Removing pink mold from nonporous surfaces tends to be easier. Surfaces like tiles and tubs can be easily by scrubbing the mold off and disinfecting them. Porous surfaces like carpets and drywall a hard to clean. It is therefore advised to replace them with completely newer objects. 

For severe cases, call in an expert to help get rid of the pink mold safely. They will also help you deal with future problems that may occur. The trained professionals follow a certain procedure that is safe to remove pink mold effectively.

How to Prevent Growth of Pink Mold

The simplest way to prevent the growth of pink mold is to limit the growing conditions. You just need to improve the airflow and control humidity in your house. Here are some of the tips you can follow to inhibit the growth of pink mold;

  • Control the humidity levels and try keeping them under 60%
  • Shampoo and soap residues should be removed from surfaces
  • Soap scum should be removed after a fortnight
  • Leaks should be identified and fixed immediately
  • The bathroom fan should be turned on before taking a shower and left running after for 20 minutes.
  • Bath mats and shower curtains should be washed and dried properly
  • Shower walls and bathtubs should be dried properly

Pink Mold growth is a menace you do not wish to experience. This can be avoided by taking the measures mentioned above. Also, remember to deal with the issue immediately after recognizing it. It will prevent the rapid spread and growth of pink molds. Seek professional help when the case is severe for efficient extraction of pink molds. 

Southern California Restoration

The Southern California Restoration content team is made up of multiple contributors, writers, and editors. We are your resource hub for anything related to water damage, mold and restoration needs that you may be challenged with facing.